Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Different Perspectives

Spent a lot of time today, noticing how often people can't let go of their perspective on things.
Facts don't matter.
Arguments don't matter.
Common sense doesn't matter.
It's the way they see it, period.

Hard to know what to do about that sometimes.
I prefer to be respectful and kind, but sometimes, that doesn't seem to work so well. So much has to do with were they are coming from and why. It seems people get themselves into positions they feel compelled to defend, tooth and nail, no matter what.

None of this is new.

When I first started homeschooling, I heard a lot of questions and concerns, and a lot of criticism of my choice. Interestingly, while I could reference many sources of information I had used in my research and thinking process, by which I came to my decision, most of the people who were critical of me could not offer ANYTHING to back up their position, other than that's what they "believed." They discounted my well thought out and considered position entirely, in favor of their knee-jerk reaction.

Most seemed surprised that I had spent a considerable amount of time and effort to make my choices. They thought I was being "lazy" or that I hadn't thought things through. Nothing could be further from the truth!

So here we are today, many years later, and I still run into people who stand by their assumptions, and ignore that I have years of experience now, in addition to continuing to think, consider and learn the entire time.

And it isn't only in homeschooling that I see this sort of attitude. I see it everywhere. In the Fire Service there are plenty of people who are so stuck in how they see things, regardless of advances in training and equipment, so much so that they refuse to move into the 21st century. Everywhere you look, there are people who prefer to stay the same rather than change, who would cut off their own nose to spite their face, rather than admit they are mistaken. They won't listen to what anyone has to say, at all.

It's incredibly counter-productive, to say the least.

Someone recently reminded me that if you aren't aware of your own bias, you can't accurately evaluate anything. Most people seem to believe they don't HAVE a bias.

It's odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment