Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Been Busy

Been too busy to write for the last week.

We went to Baltimore to an EMS conference for a couple of days. I don't think I ever stopped moving. It was a huge success- we brought home a ton of information and materials and free samples.

Came home to a search for a missing person and spent nearly seven hours out in the cold helping. Unfortunately, the search did not end the way we all hoped it would.

The next night, we were out at a motor vehicle accident in the middle of the night. There was a sudden snow squall that covered the roads and someone did a "creative parking job" across a ditch.

In between, I've been teaching, conducting a training, and continuing my own research online.

Not getting a lot of sleep.

And now, we're up listening in to the fireground audio of a structure fire in a building I used to know well. Years ago it housed a book store that I used to spend a lot of time in, even sleeping there some nights. It was owned by a friend of mine, and whenever I accidentally locked myself out of my apartment a block away, he'd let me sleep in the store. Sometimes I'd sleep on the couch in the back, and other times I'd sleep in the basement.

My friend's dog had puppies in the basement once. She was a gorgeous black lab, and the puppies were adorable.

He sold the store a few years later, and the new owners moved it downtown. It never felt the same after that.

Now, instead of a friend owning the store, we have friends there fighting the fire. I can sit here and picture the building inside and out.  At the moment, it sounds like they are getting things under control. I hope that continues to be the case.

Tomorrow I'll be up late, picking up one of the kids at the airport, coming home from a trip to Florida. We've been missing him and are looking forward to having him back home.

We may also be buying a car tomorrow, if all goes well and we find what we're looking for. Plus, it's supposed to get up to about 60 degrees and I have a bunch of outdoor work to do. I'd far rather do it while it's warm than not. The weather here has been so crazy this year that I couldn't begin to predict what it will do more than a few hours ahead of time. I feel like I need to take advantage of the warm weather because you never know what the weather will do next!

It sounds like the fire is about out, so I'm going to try to get some sleep while I can. Nothing philosophical in this post, but now you're caught up on what life here is like these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment